Τὰ πολλάκις αἰτηθέντα, γλώσσῃ Ἀγγλικῇ "FAQ"
1. Q: How do I type Greek on my computer?
Some helpful links for Windows users are here:
For Mac OS X users:
- Open System Preferences and click International.
- Click Input Menu.
- Select the checkbox next to "Greek Polytonic".
- Select the "Show input menu in menu bar" checkbox.
- Click the input menu icon in the upper-right corner of the menu bar. The input menu icon looks like a flag.
- Choose the keyboard layout from the menu and start typing.
For both platforms:
2. Q: Do I need to be registered to contribute to Οὐικιπαιδεία?
3. What aids are there for those attempting to write in ancient Greek?
- Woodhouse's English-Greek lexicon is found here
- Edward's is here.
- Morwood and Taylor, eds., Pocket Oxford Classical Greek Dictionary (Oxford, 2002). at Amazon.com
- North and Hillard, Greek Prose Composition (Duckworth, numerous printings), available for download here and the answer key is here
- Smythe's grammar is available for download here
- Kypros.org online Greek - English and English-GreekDictionary]. Check the '"ancient Greek" box (except for technical terms such as Leucaemia). Use British spelling for English words.
4. What style or period or dialect of 'ancient Greek' should I write in?
Some in the Wp/grc/Οὐικιπαιδεία/Ἀγορά have expressed a preference here for pure Attic Greek. That's good, but beware that in striving to imitate the early, classical form of the language, we are treading the exact same ground the authors of the second-sophistic trod. Even the most purist of them, like Aelius Aristides or Phrynichus, had to make concessions to the vocabulary of the contemporary world. In their everyday discourse they, like all educated Greeks, spoke κοίνη, the version of Greek that spread following the conquests of Alexander the Great. Don't be afraid to use κοίνη here, and don't hesitate to borrow from even later strata of Greek when necessary. Note that most modern scientific and technical terms in Modern Greek are modeled after Ancient Greek and should be used here, for example ὑδατάνθραξ = carbohydrate, but beware of wrongly formed English words: ταξινομία = taxonomy, λευχαιμία = leukemia, τηλεγράφημα = telegramme.
5. How do I start a new page?
- Method 1: Clink on any red link, like this one will be until someone fills it in: Ἀρταξέρξης. Begin adding text in the window that opens up.
- Method 2:Alternatively, fill in one of the input boxes like the one below. Be sure that the name of the article begins with Wp/grc/ as in, e.g., Wp/grc/θάλαττα.